Episode Details

Back to Episodes
第3015期:African hair braiders in the United States

第3015期:African hair braiders in the United States

Episode 4 Published 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Description

All women who come here, who don't have legal papers and don't know anyone,

所有来这里的女性可能没有合法的身份证件,也可能不认识任何人,


regardless if they have a high school diploma or even a Ph.D, they start braiding hair until they can do something else.

不管她们是高中生还是博士,在学会做别的事情之前都会来这里编辫子。


I was a shopkeeper in Burkina Faso. I used to buy goods there and sell them to my African sisters here.

我是布基纳法索的一名店主。过去,我常在这里买东西,然后卖给这里的非洲姐妹们。


When I would come in their hair salons, it was always busy with clients waiting.

每次我来她们的发廊,总是生意红火,还要排队。


First, I didn't know how to weave. So, they taught me how to finish the ends.

起初,我不知道怎么编发。他们教我如何完成编发的收尾工作。


At the end of the day, they sometimes gave me 100 dollars to 200 U.S. dollars.

一天下来,我会得到100美元到200美元的报酬。


I thought, 'There's money to be made here.' You look beautiful!

我想,这里是可以赚钱的。你看起来很美!


It's not easy for us. The government is asking us for licenses. Many women hide because they do not have the license.

做生意对我们来说不容易。政府要求我们出具营业执照。许多女性因为没有执照躲起来。


It started three

Listen Now

Love PodBriefly?

If you like Podbriefly.com, please consider donating to support the ongoing development.

Support Us